Monday, March 19, 2007

What effect does the vegetarianism have on a food chain?

If all people became vegetarians the human food chain would just be simplified from plant-animal-human and longer chains to just plant-human. This would have many beneficial effects for both people and the environment. People now often eat too few fruits and vegetables and get too much saturated fat from animal sources, which is a leading cause of heart disease. There are also problems of contamination of animal food sources, such as E. coli, Salmonella, and Mad Cow Disease.

For the rest of the article you can go to....
http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/aug2001/997846886.Bt.r.html

2 comments:

JakeBoucher said...

Absolutly, I am no longer a vegetarian but I do but I would say about half of the meal I eat are meat free. I do this because it is far more sustainable in the long run. Good article.

-Jake

jeremy said...

Great article, covers the subject quite well. In my opinion the best diets practice moderation and focus on variety. I cant help but wonder if all of these self proclaimed "vegans" have a clue about some of the things we learned in nutrition class. Like the fact that animal byproducts are used in the processing of things like sugar and honey?

 
More blogs about LCB.